P H O T O G R A P H ° L I F E S T Y L E

November 18, 2016

Recommended Hawker Food # Bai Nian at Bugis

still remember back in School when I would sprint to the canteen during recess, just to get that plate of dried wan tan mee with black sauce and the dumplings that in the soup. In Kuala Lumpur, wan tan mee is quiet a common dish that you would see it at almost every hawker centre/food court/restaurant. It is so common as for our breakfast, lunch and even supper. And when I began my life in The Lion City, wan tan mee over here is taste strange to me. Some are even with tomato sweet sauce instead of common black sauce as what I used to have in Kuala Lumpur. It is on few weeks ago, I got the recommendation about one dried noodle at Bugis area. I had googled it before going to, the photos I browsing through online were literally raised my cravings. This will be the first Singapore hawker food in my blog.

The stall name comes first.
"Bai Nian", I do not know why is people called it as Bai Nian Yong Tau Foo. The scene comes into my mind is those common Yong Tau Foo as I saw at every food court. They put the cart before the horse when they sell every assortment of Yong Tau Foo that is filled with the same fish paste (the white color thing), probably is from the same supplier. Which is the foods that I dislike the most. What I had in Malaysia is really filled with self-made ingredients, might be minced of meat, prawn, fish and even salted fish as well. Therefore, all I saw in Singapore have disappointed me so far. By the way, as aforementioned the photos of Bai Nian dishes have raised my cravings whatsoever.


When my first encounter a steaming bowl of stuffed bean curd from Bai Nian, I literally be mystified.
As far as the eye can see, has no bean curd whatsoever. Instead, there is a whole lot of stuffing, sticks of minced pork and batons of minced prawn. Bai Nian is truer to the spirit than the letter of the dish, with the attention it pays to the stuffing. Among the items, the prawn stick is the most surprising. The mince is smooth, but not too fine, such that you discern separate juicy morsels in each bite. Somehow, the stall has improved on nature and made prawns sweeter and springier. The pork stick has great taste and texture. The bean curd skin-covered fishcake is silky outside and firm inside, while the bean curd skin-covered pork stick is rougher outside and softer inside. And there is few small scallops mixed with it.





They only have 2 selling prices, $5 for regular size, $7 for upsize. Upsize is for the ingredients in the soup instead of for the noodle. You may choose to upsize the noodle as well with no any extra charges, how awesome it was! I do not know how is the queue during lunch time, I used to be there during dinner hour 8pm. So far been there for twice and I never met any long queue. To start your first try, 

01-58 Albert Centre 270 Queen Street
(Nearby Bugis Mrt station)
Opening hours from 8:30am to 9pm Monday to Saturday only 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig