P H O T O G R A P H ° L I F E S T Y L E

February 10, 2017

Hong Kong - Tsim Chai Kee Wonton Noodle


During my latest Hong Kong trip in Jan 2017, I had discovered few more restaurants which are well-known to tourists. To pen about my conclusion after tasted based on own opinion. Some were really delicious but some weren't. I was thinking to commend all together in a blog post or separately, so I decided to blog it separately as well. Wonton noodle is famous local food in Hong Kong, it almost can be seen in every local restaurant. Refer to this Tsim Chai Kee is well-known to tourists, you can search many information about it on Google. But regret to say, it had deeply disappointed me.
That was not my first time to eat local wonton noodle in Hong Kong and I believe wonton noodle is one of the most common food to almost all Chinese Singaporean/Malaysian. Although the style/taste of wonton noodle in Singapore/Malaysia is totally different with Hong Kong style but, as even follow to Hong Kong style and I still could not admit this Tsim Chai Kee wonton noodle is called delicious. 

Tsim Chai Kee located at Hong Kong central area, at famous foods district.
Address: 98 Wellington Street, Hong Kong, Central station (9am-10pm)


In Hong Kong, I subconsciously divide HKD (Hong Kong dollars) by 5 to SGD (Singapore dollars), and so the wonton noodle in Tsim Chai Kee cost approximately SGD 6-7. Tsim Chai Kee has obtained Michelin credit in Hong Kong, therefore it had raised my high attention plus good expectation. I can't call it as not delicious at all, negative comment owing to my high expectation was dashed. In Tsim Chai Kee, consumers will usually order the first, third and fifth noodle which listed on the menu card but I cannot consume beaf. 


The "first" is signature wonton noodle HKD29, indeed their wonton "dumpling" taste very nice, with fresh chunky and crunchy texture of prawn. The prawn dumpling is about same size as new born baby's fist (seriously). Almost all noodle texture in Hong Kong are same, which is more thinner and longer. And what i dislike to Tsim Chai Kee wonton noodle is because of its soup base, it was heavy of alkaline taste. My mouth, tongue and sore felt so bitter and acerbic in taste. 


This bowl (the fifth in menu) comprised both prawn dumplings and starchy mud carp balls. I had put a very high expectation to this mud carp balls, I guess it must be very well flavored and delicious, should as fresh as common fish ball. But, indeed it was not. A very strange taste, with very bad flavored. Not as fish ball, not as meat ball, not as fish cake, not as fish fillet, not as whatever I think it will be taste like. Just strange and unpalatable. 

But, be that as it may, their Tsim Chai Kee chili oil was the best chili oil I tasted in Hong Kong so far. Although without the photo of chili oil but do not hesitate to try it if you still wish to give a try to Tsim Chai Kee

Just a kind reminder, based on the information from my research, do not try their dried noodle (捞面) because it is just a dried noodle mix with oyster sauce, or perhaps plus some other soy sauce. 

I hope I can successfully taste delicious wonton noodle in Hong Kong during my next visit though I had really tried many. Regarding other Hong Kong food posts, I will conclude it to upload as soon as I could. Stay-tuned.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig